- EVERYTHING is a story (awareness/mindfulness).
- Your get to CHOOSE story (control).
- As a leader, it’s up to you to LEAD the story for the organization, for your team, and for prospects (strategies). Lead!!!!
Seek and you shall find.
Knock and it shall be opened to you.”
(But Only Put The Question)
WITH BETTER PROSPECTS”
AT THIS GIVEN MOMENT!
FOR YOUR PROSPECT!
It happens at every organization, every day, every where. A founder, executive director
or fundraiser is trying to gather support (financial and otherwise) from someone, such as
a board member or community leader. He or she should be the perfect prospect and easy
visit … instead we encounter ‘objections.’
I’ve always struggled with this concept: objections. We have a terrific opportunity. The
people with whom we visit (prospective investors) WANT to SAVE LIVES, CHANGE
LIVES and IMPACT LIVES. What are widely viewed as objections are more often (1)
real questions, (2) ways of saying “I don’t understand” or sometimes even (3) “I don’t
understand but I want to help so let me suggest a lot of stuff that I’ve seen work
How you address these situations is critical. For that, turn to philosophy + martial arts.
Turn to Aikido. Aikido translated literally means “the way of harmony of life energy.”
It’s a form of martial arts in which you join incoming thrusts and redirect them with
minimal effort and without inflicting harm on the aggressor. According to Aikido’s
founder, it is literally the Art of Peace.
If you get a zinger of a question or a response that could take you off course – work with
it. Don’t try to ‘oppose it.’ Don’t get defensive. Raising your hands to block a person
means you absorb the blow … you literally have to push back with equal and opposite
force (wasted energy) to absorb the blow. Instead, practice Aikido and redirect the
incoming zinger back to your impact, your message or your plan.
Note: Politicians practice Aikido every day. Watch ANY political debate. Instead of
getting defensive when a tough question is asked, the politician redirects toward his or
My partner and President/Leader of For Impact | The Suddes Group, Nick Fellers, is a borderline genius. Smart. Action-oriented. Authentic.
He has many great lines, but I heard him say this on the phone once and it just struck me as so freakin’ right on in his role as COACH.
“You can’t SCREW UP … if you just SHOW UP!”
While Nick was speaking with one of his coaching clients, I think that message needed to get out to everyone.
Before you can JUST ASK.
Before you can PRESENT THE OPPORTUNITY.
Before you can MAXIMIZE RELATIONSHIPS.
You need to SHOW UP! (JUST ENGAGE!)
If you (or someone in your organization) is not out making VISITS, making
PRESENTATIONS, making ASKS … who do you think will???
Nobody woke up this morning and said to themselves, “This would be a great day to
give $10,000 (or $100,000) to my favorite IMPACT organization.”
- 0:00 Greeting
- 2:08 The Clueless Close
- 3:37 The Listening Close
- 6:29 The Higher Level Close
- 9:56 The Qualifying Close
- 15:26 The Math Close
- 19:05 Conversations To Have With Your Board
- 25:17 The Binary Close
- 27:37 Holy Audacity
- 32:39 The Permission Close
- 34:54 The Goonies Close
- 38:35 Top Of The Mountain Close
- 40:59 The Predisposition Close
- 43:14 The Action Forcing Event
- 47:14 Practice Close
- 50:41 The Handful Of People Close
- 58:15 The Self-fulfilling Prophesy Close
- 1:00:33 The Momentum Close
- 1:06:54 Handling Objections
- 1:14:17 The Transformational Close
- 1:16:44 Wrap-Up
Don’t freak out! If you ARE a Major Gift Officer … or have just HIRED a Major Gift Officer … or HAVE multiple Major Gift Officers … THAT’S GREAT!!!
What I’m strongly urging you to do is to CHANGE THEIR TITLE!!!
- It’s soooooo development-y and fundraise-y!
- It’s such an insider’s word.
We should wear a sandwich board that says “I’m a MAJOR GIFT OFFICER. I’m coming to ask you for a Major Gift. Get ready.”
Nobody OUTSIDE your organization deals with ‘MAJOR GIFTS.’
Nobody INSIDE even knows what they are.
As always, I challenge you with the ‘NO MORE’ … but offer an alternative SOLUTION.
Change the TITLE of your ‘MAJOR GIFT OFFICERS’ to something that includes the word RELATIONSHIP!!!
- Could be a CRO: Chief Relationship Officer
- Could be a RRO: Regional Relationship Officer
- Could be RDOR: Regional Director of Relationships
- Could be a CRO: College Relationship Officer
- Could be just RO: Relationship Officer