In designing, managing and leading hundreds of ‘building campaigns’, these are questions we ask – at altitude:
- Are we in the Re-Construction Biz or the Impact Biz?
- What is the Purpose(s) of the ‘Space(s)’?
- How does it relate to our Vision?
- Have we dealt with the ‘Footprint’ & ‘Bubbles’ before Wall Coverings & FFE?
- Do our Financial Goals match our Constituent’s Capacity?
- Is this about ‘Ownership’ or ‘Control’?
- How do we Share this Story (of Impact) vs. ‘Sell Recognition/Naming Rights?’
- Have we explored Partnerships? Multi-Use Facilities? 24/7?
- Have we engaged all stakeholder groups to validate that we have the best solutions/plan?
- Are there other cheaper and/or more creative real estate solutions to achieve our goal? If so, can we address why we’re not pursuing?
- Have we looked at all Creative Financing Opportunities?
- Are we telling the architects and planners what we want and need, what we can afford, how it fits… or are they telling us?
- Cost per sq. ft. needs to fit our situation
- Entire Project/Cost must enable our Case for Support
- Can this be divided into phases? (Both Building & Funding)
- Can we take 3 to 5 Year Commitments? Do we need Bridge Financing or a Construction Loan?
- Have we made Everything A Project? (within the Big Initiative)
- Are there Projects (In-Kind Opportunities) to Maximize Gifts?
In sharing this, I also want to encourage leaders and readers to engage with us EARLY in the formative stages of a building project or strategy. By asking the right questions up front you can save time and money – but it’s not just about that – It’s about identifying the right solution and needs to help you with your impact!
What is the absolute PERFECT PREDISPOSITION???
It’s bringing the Qualified Prospect or potential/current investor TO YOU!!!
Short. Sweet. Powerful. An idea that you can use immediately to significantly increase the level of investment from your top prospects. This idea is particularly relevant if you are in a ‘CAMPAIGN’ or trying to involve/engage your top prospects at the leadership gift level.
I’ll say it again: The absolute best PREDISPOSITION is to bring your BEST PROSPECTS to WHERE YOU DELIVER YOUR SERVICE!!!
This seems so natural and ‘commonsensical’. (That could be a new word.) Yet, to so many people we train and work with, this is a big revelation.
Don’t tell me you can’t get people to come and visit you. I didn’t say it was easy. I said it will significantly increase the magnitude of the commitment!
If they’re really and truly a great PROSPECT, then they need to SEE and FEEL and TOUCH what you do – the ‘HOME COURT ADVANTAGE’ is very powerful! (At Colleges and Universities we call this GTC: GET TO CAMPUS!)
Bringing your prospects/potential investors TO YOU – where you can control the environment, the flow, the tour/agenda – is one hundred times better than their office or home, and 1,000 times better than a restaurant.
IF “A PICTURE is worth a THOUSAND WORDS.”
THEN “A LIVE MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE is worth a MILLION words.”
The For Impact ALTITUDE FRAMEWORK is one of our most referenced and utilized tools (by our team, our coaches and our clients) – TO RAISE THE LEVEL OF THEIR GAME!
We use Altitude to order thinking, communications, and storylines. We use it to develop Engagement Tools. And, we use it to think through the Flow of a Visit.
The Altitude Framework works great for Presentations, Agendas, Meetings, Speaking, Strategic Plans and Action Plans.
It’s also a great Framework to respond to questions. “At what altitude is the best or most appropriate response?” And, it’s a powerful coaching model. “Let’s talk about this issue at this particular altitude.”
We have color coded our Altitude Framework (Blue, Red, Green) to lay out our content, our guides and our books. And, it allows us to talk shorthand and reach decisions ten times faster than a normal process.
One of the reasons that this framing device has been so popular is its obvious simplicity. Everyone can understand the hierarchy of WHY, WHAT and HOW and they intuitively get the connection between VISION, STRATEGY and EXECUTION. Following are some ways to help you understand and apply ALTITUDE. (more…)