In the sales world, there is such thing as an ‘assumptive close’. This is where a sales person ASSUMES the customer is ready to buy – So they skip past the close and work on the mechanics. For example, “Tell me when you would like to take receipt of your item and we can get started on the paperwork.”
In our social impact world, I’d like to repurpose The Assumptive Close. I don’t think of this as a closing technique, instead, I think of it as an attitude and a mode of communication that helps you continue toward a closed commitment.
There are times when a prospect is CLEARLY ‘in’, but we haven’t yet confirmed the commitment. Perhaps you had a great visit and the prospect said, “I want to help – financially – give me some time to look at my other obligations…”
If I were to coach you through this follow up strategy, I’d say, don’t think about HOW or IF you’re going to have a numbers conversation on the next visit. Instead, remember the prospect has already said, “I’m IN!!!!”
So, you can continue to move forward with this ASSUMPTION in the next conversation.
Too often, we see uncertainty and doubt creep in. I was with an Executive Director last week, and in this case, she was trying to figure out how to bring up the gift again. She had doubt about the commitment and – absent of a mental model – moved backward and started trying to figure out how to ask – again. Just thinking about this as an ‘Assumptive Close’ helped her frame the next conversation.
The predisposition (framing) for the next conversation was as simple as this: “I’m looking forward to getting together tomorrow and talking next steps. It’s great to know you’re ‘in’. We are so incredibly grateful for your support.”
You can ASSUME it will close and you can communicate with that belief in mind!
Teleseminars are a way for us to offer valuable training to our For Impact Community – in a short, ‘call in from anywhere’ format. Join us this Tuesday and Wednesday for two of our most popular topics:
Teleseminar: How to Make Your Story Awesome
Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:00-1:45ET
Free for first 50 registrants
The story you use to maximize funding…
The story that brings rockstar talent to your doorstep and fully engages your team…
The story that you tell yourself every day to stay focused and fulfilled.
Story adds passion, purpose and urgency to your message, plan and every day actions.
- Is your story about needing more money? Or changing lives?
- Do you have a good story that helps get to the ask?
- Do we have a story that engages the board? Engaging them as passionate champions and advocates?
This 45 minute teleseminar will:
- Share examples of stories used at organizations to help them with these questions.
- Address common challenges to funding, action and engagement.
- Give you several actionable tools use can use to DISCOVER your story and make it AWESOME.
“Would it be possible for you to consider taking the LEAD on this initiative?” [pointing to $1M]
“Where do you see yourself?”
This seminar covers over 20 PHRASES and QUESTIONS we use to JUST ASK. It’s intended to provide very practical nuts-and-bolts examples to help you visualize HOW to ask:
- New prospects
- Board members
- Long time supporters to step up
Stories and closes will include:
- How to close like Steve Jobs
- How to ask when you have no idea about capacity
- How to ask AFTER the visit — dealing with ‘what I should’ve said was….’
- Three ways to ask your very best prospect to take the lead and how to follow-up when you can’t afford a ‘no’
- Questions to help you qualify on a discovery visit
- How to make sure gifts close by a date / time
- How to address the most common objections when they come up
- How to predispose the prospect to a really really big ask