Tom Suddes passed away peacefully on Monday, September 26, 2016.
On behalf of our team and his family, I want to thank so many of you who have shared support and prayers as Tom battled ALS these past two years. He read and enjoyed every card, napkin, and letter that he received.
This is a time for tribute and celebration. Tom modeled so many things to those of us who knew him as a coach, leader, and friend. He was a man who defined living, loving, and giving.
We all hope to leave a legacy. Tom leaves a list of legacies.
- Through his family: Tom was a husband, father, grandfather, brother. To hundreds more he was ‘OG’ (short for ‘Old Guy’) — a fun-loving, adventure-filled, grandfather-figure, who treated everyone like family.
- Through his fundraising: Tom raised over $1Billion to save, change, and impact lives. In his field he was a visionary maverick, master-trainer, and one-of-a-kind motivator.
- Through The Suddes Group: Tom’s vision continues, providing training, counsel, and support to nonprofit leaders and social entrepreneurs throughout the world.
- Through the thousands of Notre Dame boxers he coached: This fraternity has raised thousands for the Holy Cross Mission in Bangladesh. They carry forth his passion and pursuit for life and ‘just one more push-up.’
- Through the dozens of Suddes Group alums: He helped me and so many others find and fulfill our purpose. Tom instilled values: family-first, life design, and give more than you get.
Tom gave away everything – his time, his money, his love – but perhaps the greatest gift Tom gave was his spirit. This was the common gift among the thousands Tom impacted. And so his spirit lives in each of us that knew him. This is the most remarkable legacy of all.