This will be my last post and last WOW email for 2013. And, it’s not about your organization, your team, fundraising or sales. It’s about YOU. It 2014, we’ll be organizing all of our content, resources and support under Blue–Red–Green–Gold. This represents Organizational Development (Blue), Team Development (Red), Fund Development (Green) and Personal Development (Gold). I want to close out 2013 with some GOLD. BE HAPPY. BE HEALTHY. BE FOR IMPACT. BE HAPPY. Check out this great link to 10 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Incredibly Happy by Belle Beth Cooper via Jeff Haden. Shorthand:
- Sleep more.
- Spend more time with friends and family.
- Get outside more.
- Help others(!)
- Practicing smiling.
- Plan a trip.
- Move closer to work.
- Practice gratitude.
A lot of great links in this article! One more resource for some reading on happiness over the holidays might be The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People by David Niven. *I’m learning to be much more productive in my old age. My good friend Jim Mahoney of Battelle for Kids has done a terrific job of Book Notes on Niven’s book. Here’s the summary. Happy people have:
- Purpose and Meaning
BONUS READING: Jim Rohn’s 7 Strategies for Wealth & Happiness: Power Ideas from America’s Foremost Business Philosopher. One of my favorite authors, Rohn says the 7 strategies are:
- Unleash the power of goals.
- Seek knowledge.
- Learn how to change.
- Control your finances.
- Master time.
- Surround yourself with winners.
- Learn the art of living well!
? DON’T WORRY … BE HAPPY.
BE HEALTHY. There was a sign in one of the original athletic clubs I built many years ago that I will never forget: “HEALTH IS THE GREATEST WEALTH.” I’m not going to encourage you to make ‘New Year’s Resolutions’, but here are three great resources to read or skim over the holidays regarding your health.
- The Power of Full Engagement by Jim Loehr and Tony Schwartz. Both of these guys have even more stuff on HEALTH. Look them up.
- Aging Well by George Vaillant. Again, I don’t need to summarize. You can all use Google or Bing. Vaillant is the one who summarized the groundbreaking study of five decades of Harvard graduates.
- Brain Rules by John Medina. The reason I included it here is because it’s one of Nick’s favorite books and a HEALTHY BRAIN means everything!
BE FOR IMPACT. This is our commitment to help you in 2014 and beyond.
Here are my initial year-end thoughts on BE FOR IMPACT. I would love your feedback.
Have a wonderful holiday and end of the year.
Look for some great stuff ON CHANGE on January 6th.