NO MORE ‘BORED’ MEETINGS!
Just did a teleseminar/audio ON BOARD(S). In the middle of the 45-minute session, I was doing a mini-rant on NO MORE ‘BORED’ MEETINGS. Mentioned that I have served on a number of boards early on in my career … and that I would never do it again. I’m a combination of ADD and ACTION-DRIVEN. Board meetings are bored meetings.
Suggested that everyone really shake up their next board meeting and make it a truly MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE!
Suggested that if you’re the hospital or hospital foundation board, you have your next meeting in an operating room.
‘Triggered the following from a wonderful CDO (Chief Development Officer) of one of the hospitals in the CHI system.
What was your most valuable takeaway on today’s call?
- “NO MORE BORED MEETINGS … My next On Board Engagement is going to be in one of our operating rooms at our hospital. That is a fantastic idea and I love it. My board has been begging to get rid of the BORING STUFF we talk about at every BOARD MEETING. Thank you.”
CHALLENGE: Every person in the For Impact Tribe (and anyone else who reads this) needs to re-think, re-design and re-imagine their board meetings (so that they are not ‘bored’ meetings)!
3 Quick Ideas:
- 1. CHANGE the VENUE! (We just had a foundation board meeting in Arkansas up in the press box of the stadium with a view out one side to the field and out the other side to the hospital! It was awesome.)
- 2. SHAKE UP the AGENDA. Anything that can be read in advance needs to be sent out … and read in advance! The Board Memorable Experience should offer huge opportunity for dialogue, conversation, ideas and feedback.
- 3. BRING in GUESTS! Having anyone who has actually been served (student, patient, hospice family, etc.) guarantees a visceral, palpable response.
- ***You might also look at bringing in someone with name recognition (local coach, community leader, etc.) who has ties to your organization.