The For Impact Relationship-Based Funding Model
Here is an updated version of the For Impact Funding Model.
Based on relationships… funding Today, Tomorrow and Forever.
DOWNLOAD MODEL W/O NOTES
DOWNLOAD MODEL W NOTES
- Impact Drives Income: Not about Annual Fund vs. Campaign Gifts. Those are internal silos. Instead it’s all about supporting your IMPACT – Today (current programs), Tomorrow (Special Projects – Multi Year Funding Opportunities) and Forever (Legacy Funding).
- Commit to Sales: Sales is about relationships… it’s about engaging one-on-one. When you commit to sales you aren’t running an ‘annual campaign’ and then coming back later to run an ‘endowment campaign’. You’re sitting down with people (individuals/corporations/foundations) and saying, here all the ways to support!
A Relationship-Based Funding Model
- Today: This is cash to your CURRENT IMPACT / CURRENT PROGRAMS (read: operations). A big part of this strategy is the user of IMPACT CIRCLES – annual giving clubs with one level at $1K or $10K (depending upon size and scope of your operation).
- Tomorrow: Multi-year funding opportunities tied to your biggest priorities or programs (often thought of as major gifts).
- Forever: Legacy Giving (planned giving) and Transformational Giving opportunities. Use Legacy Giving to fund your endowment.
The Today/Tomorrow/Forever matches to your message for each type of giving. More than that, this model illustrates a COMPLETE funding model. This gives you the tool to maximize relationships at any given time:
- If you’re asking an investor to help you with a special priority it ‘s important to illustrate (in your model) that you have a plan to fund ops!
- You can ask long time annual supporters to ‘protect their investment’ via a Legacy Commitment.
- TODAY/TOMORROW/FOREVER also matches up to giving out of cash flow, assets and estate.
- You have THE TRIPLE ASK!!!!! This is an ask for TODAY/TOMORROW/FOREVER on one visit!
- This creates a powerful engagement tool to use with your investors!
Action: Turn the model into a funding plan.
- What does your membership (base of relationships) need to look like TODAY – in the IMPACT circle – to fund your GAP?
- What kind of math do you need to fund all your priorities over the next 1000 days?
- How many members are you looking for to FOUND your LEGACY SOCIETY? Have a goal. This is the simplest thing you can do to leverage planned giving and transform your funding over the long haul.