‘Just Ask’ the ACTION part of the For Impact message.
Through The Suddes Group, we’ve raised a lot of money. A big reason for this was because WE ASKED.
So many times I’ve been on a visit with an executive director. We asked… the prospect (after some dialogue) said yes and the executive director then later said to me,
“We did everything you did.
Except we usually just don’t ask!”
Through For Impact we’ve trained thousands. We keep track of everyone that leaves a boot camp or that we’ve worked with in some coaching/training capacity. There are those that go on to raise a lot of money and there are those that don’t do much…
As near as I can tell there is ONE salient difference between those that go on to raise a lot and those that sit of their duff…. They GET this napkin message.
Those that have been to our home at Eagle Creek have probably seen the ‘war room’. This is the place were Tom, Kerry and I beat each other up about what words to use in our frameworks.
We have a big fight [usually a good fight] about each piece of content that goes into our system. No big words hang out there by accident.
With that in mind I want to point out what this napkin does NOT say. It doesn’t say,
- Just ask when timing is perfect.
- Just ask when you know exactly what to ask for.
- Just ask after you’ve visiting with the prospect nine times.
- Just ask when you’re entire board is on board.
- Just ask when those butterflies in your stomach are finally gone.
- Just ask when you have the perfect message.
- Just ask when you have the perfect materials.
It says, “Just Ask!”
- Timing will never be perfect.
- The only what you’ll know what to ask for is by asking (and getting a response).
- You are in the business of saving, changing and impacting lives It’s not about nine visits. People cultivate because they can’t communicate!
- Re: the board… just move… take action.
- I still feel like I want to puke before a big ask….
- The only way to truly test a message is to ASK.
- Re: Materials, see my above point about message.
Just ASK is all about action.
It’s permission to move. Nothing happens until you ask!
Until you ask, (one-on-one), the message is not personal.
Until you ask, people don’t know how they can help.Until you ask, the prospect doesn’t guide you through what else is needed (from the message, from the org or plan) to make a commitment.
Until you ask, prospects can’t say YES!
This is 90% of everything you need to know about raising money.