Case for Support Overview
Most people think of a ‘Case for Support’ they think of an industry standard written document, often produced as a ‘Case Statement’. We’ve zoomed out a bit to focus simply on WHY you need the money.
An effective Case for Support does three things:
- It succinctly addresses the 3 Questions of every Investor. This INCLUDES having a clear and compelling ask, or funding rationale.
- It wraps these answers in a context (or story) that maximizes the impact of the investment.
- It addresses success. More specifically it presents a credible plan that communicates that the project can be funded successfully. Broadly, this includes strong leadership and a strong funding plan. No funder wants to be ‘the only one’ – This is why leadership gifts are so important to campaign success. They validate the plan AND demonstrate leadership commitment to the project.
In this section we provide resources to help you build your case and address common challenges including:
- Packaging Priorities (and simplifying the case).
- Doing the MATH! This is a huge obstacle for most organizations. They don’t know the math and MATH is essential to each of the three points above!
- Developing a Funding Plan.
- Designing the Presentation.