Drucker on Action Plans
“Without an action plan the executive becomes a prisoner of events.” – Peter Drucker
This is from a timeless Drucker article that appeared in HBR 2004, “What Makes an Effective Executive”.
“What made [leaders] effective is that they followed the same eight practices:
- They asked, “What needs to be done?”
- They asked, “What is right for the enterprise?”
- They developed action plans.
- They took responsibility for decisions.
- They took responsibility for communicating.
- They were focused on opportunities rather than problems.
- They ran productive meetings.
- They thought and said “we” rather than “I.””