I had an opportunity to catch the replay of Jim Valvano’s famous ESPY Awards speech from 1993. (I caught it when I was working out while watching a little bit of a Notre Dame’s basketball game at the Jimmy V Classic.)
He began this incredible 10-minute presentation by stating that he “didn’t know how much time was left…” because he was fighting cancer. He went on to say that he’s a very “passionate and emotional man” and he wanted to share some things…
And, the ‘3 THINGS’ he shared all had ‘3 THINGS’!!!
*Just so you know, I love the RULE OF 3. It’s used in media, broadcasting, sales, presentations and so much more. All Jim Valvano did was reinforce this for me… in a very emotional and positive way.
- The 3 THINGS we should do every day:
- MOVED TO TEARS (EMOTION)
Jimmy V. said “THAT’S A FULL DAY!”
- (Another) 3 THINGS we should think about every day:
- WHERE You Started…
- WHERE You Are…
- WHERE You’re Going To Be…
- The Lombardi/Valvano Locker Room Presentation around “THESE 3 THINGS”:He talks about his first pre-game speech as a ‘head’ coach with Rutgers Freshman Team. He ‘practiced’ his talk which he had ‘borrowed’ from Vince Lombardi. It went like this:
“All eyes on me.
We’ll be successful this year if we can focus on These 3 Things:
- Your FAMILY
- Your RELIGION
- And the GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!”
Jimmy V’s closing is a great way to end ’07 and begin ’08.
“DON’T GIVE UP. DON’T EVER GIVE UP.”