As I write this on January 1st, 2011 (1/1/11), I wanted to start this New Year off with a message on THE POWER OF ONE.
“The cynic says, ‘One (wo)man can’t do anything’.
I say, ‘Only one (wo)man can do anything’.
All good ideas start with one (wo)man.
The creative, caring, believing person sends out waves of influence.
(S)he affects others who in turn affect others.”
John W. Gardner’s eponymous quote is a great way to start his New Year. (I added the ‘WO’ not to be politically correct but to reach an audience that probably has more potential to change the world than Gardner’s ‘MAN’!)
In 2011, how are you going to exercise your POWER OF ONE???
Special Note: Here are three great books with ‘ONE’ in their title!!!
- 1. Becoming a Category of One: How Extraordinary Companies Transcend Commodity and Defy Comparison by Joe Calloway. Simple concept. Great strategic goal. What can you do this year for your organization to become a Category of One??? What would it mean to be the only one who does what you do?! What are your unique selling points? Your distinguishing characteristics? Your dramatic differences?
- *I first read this book on 13 September 2004 at sunset. I saw Chapter 6 around “The 3 Rules” and read that the “Heart of a Category of One performer is to keep it simple and make it clear”.
- 2. The One Decision: Make the Single Choice That Will Lead to a Life of More by Judith Wright.
- In effect, Wright asks: What is the ONE DECISION that you could make that would lead to a life of purpose and meaning?
- The ONE DECISION is a personal commitment about HOW you’re going to live your life.
- Note: I found this book on the 22nd of March, 2007 in San Francisco.
- 3. And finally, the POWER OF ONE. This book is one of my Top 3 books I have ever read. It’s by Bryce Courtenay. It’s set in South Africa. Deals with Apartheid. Boxing is metaphor for life and the story. I’ve probably given away 400 or 500 copies of this book to my Notre Dame boxers over the years. I even spoke with the author when I was in Sydney, Australia.
- Trust me on this one. It will be one of the best books you’ve ever read in your life.