Board … Not … Responsible … Fundraising
We’ve been with a lot of Boards in the last few weeks … and it just feels like this needs to be re-stated, re-peated, re-inforced.
THE BOARD … IS NOT … RESPONSIBLE … FOR ‘FUNDRAISING!’
You may have heard this from us before, but just a reminder to everyone who is struggling with:
- Getting the Board to ask their friends for money.
- Sharing names of people who need to be hit up. (“How’s that working for you?” as Nick always says.)
- Handing out 3 x 5 cards and then having follow-up meetings to discuss ‘progress’ (when, of course, there is none).
The Board should do 3 things as it relates to funding:
- CHAMPION … a Cause, a Case and the Organization.
- INVITE … others to be engaged.
- INVEST … with a commensurate commitment.
If they can’t do those 3 things, they are not ON BOARD.
Therefore, they should not be ON THE BOARD.
For more on this, see our Guidebook On Boards.