Forget the Mission Statement. What’s Your Mission Question?
If you’ve ever attended a For Impact LIVE EXPERIENCE, you have most likely been encouraged to CHANGE YOUR VOCABULARY.
One of the first changes from old words/old thinking to new words/new thinking is changing from MISSION STATEMENT to MESSAGE.
In other words, your MISSION STATEMENT is written by a committee, with a thesaurus, politically correct and isn’t remembered by anybody in your organization (including those who wrote it).
New thinking is around your MESSAGE. Your VISION. Your PURPOSE. Your MEANING.
Here’s another take on this idea from Warren Berger at Fast Co. Design.
FORGET THE MISSION STATEMENT. WHAT’S YOUR MISSION QUESTION?
This article is a preview of his forthcoming book A MORE BEAUTIFUL QUESTION.
I encourage you to read the article.
Here are his “five questions that today’s forward thinking companies should be asking”:
1. Why are we here in the first place?
2. What does the world need most that we are uniquely able to provide?
3. What are we willing to sacrifice?
4. What matters more than money?
- (Hint: It’s a ‘blue’ word that begins with I and ends with T!)
5. Are we all on this mission together?
All of these questions apply to your For Impact Organization.
Some great stories and examples in the article. Worth your time.