We have worked with the Abbey Theatre in Ireland and I have been backstage a number of times. And, I am also an infrequent but big-time lover of watching just about any Broadway play.
I thought this great article in Inc. by Kevin Daum, The Dramatic Secret to Completing an Overwhelming Project–Fast was superb. In essence, an eight-step completion process theatre pros have used, as he says, for thousands of years.
Here are the steps. Read the supporting text.
- 1. Strip away the unnecessary.
- 2. Plan slowly to move quickly.
- 3. Grab the right team.
- 4. Make a clear division of labor.
- 5. Have brief but regular check-ins.
- 6. Make use of elves.
- 7. Build in time for testing.
- 8. Accept what is good enough.