Here are three big questions for you think about this week.
- WHAT BUSINESS ARE YOU IN?
- WHY ARE YOU IN BUSINESS?
- HOW DOES YOUR BUSINESS WORK?
Nick and I have been working with a lot of wonderful organizations in the last 60 days… especially helping them with their MESSAGE, PRIORITIES and FUNDING PLAN.
It struck me this morning that IF every one of us and our organizations could answer ‘THE THREE BIG QUESTIONS‘… it would help us:
- COMMUNICATE OUR MESSAGE.
- FOCUS ON OUR PRIORITIES.
- MAKE BUSINESS DECISIONS/CHOICES.
I know that somewhere in the back of my (old) brain… these questions are driven by Peter Drucker, Jim Collins, Tom Peters and others.
However, I don’t know that I’ve ever stated them this clearly.
My CHALLENGE for you this week:
ANSWER THESE THREE BUSINESS QUESTIONS (as best you can)!!!
Three Quick Notes:
- WHAT business are you in… should be answered at the HIGHEST LEVEL!!! (Drucker’s old line about being in the ‘RAILROAD’ business or in the ‘TRANSPORTATION’ business might help.)
- WHY are you in business… is all about your VISION and your IMPACT and your RAISON D’ETRE.
- HOW does your business work… is all about your BUSINESS MODEL and your BUSINESS PLAN and your FUNDING/REVENUE STREAMS.
P.S. Collins uses three CIRCLES.
I think this also works.
Let me know if this helps CHANGE THE GAME!