I was reading Leader to Leader early this morning. (Terrific magazine coming from the Leader to Leader Institute, formerly Drucker Foundation.)
James Champy of RE-ENGINEERING fame had a great line about the real leadership companies:
“A BUDGET IS NEVER AN EXCUSE FOR INACTION.”
He talks about how ENTREPRENEURIAL organizations never use their budget as an excuse; while larger companies are always talking about “The money is not in this year’s budget.”
Champy’s new book Outsmart!: How to Do What Your Competitors Can’t has six Guiding Principles. I thought you could put these to use right away.
Go far and deep with INSPIRATION! (This fits perfectly into our Altitude Framework that begins with VISION, IMPACT, INSPIRATION.)
- Be completely OPEN and TRANSPARENT. (Champy is talking about organizations but this also is true for you and your visit. AUTHENTICITY!)
- Embrace information TECHNOLOGY to enable change. (Find some New Millennial and have them help you utilize technology to scale and grow your IMPACT.)
- ACT whenever OPPORTUNITY knocks. (For Social Entrepreneurs and For Impact Leaders? there is sooooooo much OPPORTUNITY KNOCKING!! You just need to ENGAGE!)
- Accept VULNERABILITY as a way of life. (His point here is don’t be afraid to make mistakes. You’re going to Fail. Failure is good.)
- Accept RISK as a normal condition. (Every entrepreneur knows this.)
Try to find a copy of this article as well as some other great things at Leader to Leader.
I’m not a big ‘COMPETITION’ guy. I want all of you to succeed. Buy the book to get some more good ‘nuggets’ from a smart guy.