Board… Not… Responsible… Fundraising
Nick and I are on our way to make a presentation to select members of an amazing For Impact health care organization in Virginia.
As we talked out the presentation and prep last night, I was reminded of the power of this simple statement:
THE BOARD… IS NOT… RESPONSIBLE… FOR ‘FUNDRAISING’!
You may have heard this from us before, but just a reminder to everyone that is struggling with:
• Getting the Board to ask their friends for money.
• Sharing names of people who need to be hit up. (“How’s that working for you?” as Nick always says.)
• Handing out 3 x 5 cards and then having follow-up meetings to discuss ‘progress’ (when, of course, there is none).
The Board should do 3 things as it relates to funding.
1. Champion… a Cause, a Case and the Organization.
2. Invite… others to be engaged.
3. Invest… with a commensurate commitment.
P.S. If they can’t do those 3 things, they are not ON BOARD… and, therefore, should not be ON THE BOARD.