I was reading a book this morning called THE DESIGN OF BUSINESS
by Roger Martin who is a Dean at the Rotman School of Management at University of Toronto.
His big thing is the DESIGN FUNNEL… going from MYSTERY (problem) to HEURISTICS (rule of thumb) and then to ALGORITHM (a system or process that works and can be replicated).
Based on my 35+ years, and a ton of work in the last five years around the ALGORITHM … we have developed the For Impact ROAD MAP, which is also our SALES PROCESS.
You’ve probably all seen it, but I just wanted to reinforce the following:
There it is. SIMPLE. STRAIGHT FORWARD. ALGORITHM (Process). You just need to EXECUTE!
GO FOR IT.
Here’s a pretty powerful idea that even Nick and I don’t fully always appreciate:
MAKE EVERYTHING A ‘DRAFT’.
We put… and leave… the word ‘DRAFT’ on just about everything we do, for all kinds of reasons:
- Creates opportunity for discussion and conversation.
- Allows for a feeling of engagement, involvement and feedback.
- Literally enables changes, re-design and ongoing versions!
Here are 3 very specific examples:
- A terrific university, in a $275+ Million Funding Initiative, has developed a simple, powerful PRESENTATION TOOL. In the top right-hand corner, it says ‘DRAFT’. The beauty of this is that it actually is a ‘DRAFT’… and people are feeling like they have some input.
P.S. People actually say, "I love that this is a draft."
- An incredible For Impact Organization in San Diego, working with Nick as a Coach, put together a great ‘DRAFT’ PLAN that showed how much additional funds were being leveraged, etc. It also showed $5M for a particular project. The first prospect presented with this ‘DRAFT‘ PLAN asked, "What if we did that entire project ($5M)???"
P.S. The answer was pretty obvious!
- A foundation proposal that I helped put together actually carried the word ‘DRAFT‘ at the top! We literally asked the Champion at the foundation to look at the ‘DRAFT‘… and give us some feedback and even suggest any changes that might help obtain a significant investment from the foundation.
P.P.S.S. It worked!
The idea, nugget, lesson for this week:
MAKE EVERYTHING A ‘DRAFT‘!!!
Special Note: This actually fits perfectly into wonderful ideas like prototyping, testing and practicing.
Nick just shared with you some pretty interesting stuff from his sessions with Tim out in the Northwest.
One really powerful word that struck me was ‘CONVERSATION’.
Tim indicated that Nick helped him see that this was much more about a ‘CONVERSATION’ than a ‘scripted presentation’. I love this because:
- It re-frames the PURPOSE of the presentation (of the opportunity).
- It ties very well to whole concept of ‘VISIT’ vs. an appointment! Obviously, you would have a CONVERSATION on your VISIT.
- It’s really just another great way to understand the word DIALOGUE!If you’re a For Impact member or frequent reader, you’ll know that DIALOGUE is the centerpiece of our PRESENTATION FLOW. There’s always an OPEN… followed by DIALOGUE… and concluded with some type of PRESENTATION OF THE OPPORTUNITY.
Quick thanks to Nick and Tim for helping with a different view of PRESENTATION… CONVERSATION… and RELATIONSHIPS.
Just as Walt Disney did, it’s important for you to create visuals to illustrate your story (whether it is about a cartoon mouse or your operational budget).
I’ve pulled nine visuals from various presentation tools that were developed at or following training camps. These are intended to be used to create dialogue on a visit. They are not intended to be ‘stand alone’ marketing pictures. YOU add the context.
Special note: I could write three pages about each visual. Put differently, each visual summarizes three pages… that’s the point. Use these visuals for inspiration and don’t worry about complete comprehension.
Napkin and Visual Elements
114 kb – PDF
“Our Service Model”
Help me understand WHAT your organization does: simply. This (national) organization connects enterprise with education.
“Impact of This Program”
12 Families. 12 Women. 19 Children. (Illustrated)
“Our Funding Model”
Only three pieces:
- Priority initiatives
(think: major gifts)
- Our legacy society
(think: planned giving)
- Cornerstone Society
(think: annual giving club/membership @ $1000)
“Annual Fund Impact”
- Expand existing programs
- Take to new areas
- Connect service locations
“A For Impact Mantra”
Your ability to communicate your impact determines your income.
We are the only organization focused exclusively on cancer prevention for kids.
“Where Does the Money Go?”
School: Three funding priorities
“We make connections”
“Our Operating Model”
Complex budget explained with three pieces.
Walt Disney was sending his brother Roy to meet with bankers in New York. He was going to pitch a new concept: Disneyland. At the time, Disney had cartoons but no theme parks.
As the story is told, he called in a young imaginer. To him he said,
“You know bankers don’t have any imagination, none at all. You have to show them what you’re going to do.” He then asked the imagineer to help him create a mock-up of Disneyland on a large storyboard. It was a splendid painting that even included black light paint so that you could see what Disneyland would look like at night.
This story comes from Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind-the-Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real. The book includes pictures of the storyboard (pretty cool).
Always look for ways to SHOW what you’re going to do. Use Presentation Tools. Banker or not, there is a big difference between talking your way through something and showing your way through something. A presentation tool worked for Walt Disney… maybe it will work for you.
This is a really BIG DEAL to US and to EVERYONE we’ve trained.
IF you’re out making VISITS and PRESENTING THE OPPORTUNITY (which all of you should be), you need a SIMPLE… POWERFUL… ENGAGING…
You don’t have one now.
This is not about PowerPoints, Campaign Brochures, 3-Ring Binders, or ‘stuff’ from National’s Communication/Marketing Department.
It’s about TOOLS you can use to Present the Opportunity ‘shoulder-to-shoulder.’
As Tim Allen of Tool Time says, “The RIGHT TOOL for the RIGHT JOB.”
GREAT ENGAGEMENT TOOLS can:
- Create a terrific FRAMEWORK for the FLOW of the VISIT
- FACILITATE terrific DIALOGUE
- Create ENGAGEMENT and INTERACTION
- COMMUNICATE stats & stories, logic & magic, and more
- GRAB PEOPLE’S ATTENTION!
Nick and I organize our ENGAGEMENT TOOLS around these three things:
- A NAPKIN
- A FLOW SHEET
- An ALTITUDE MAP
You can download an EXAMPLE of each one of these.
Simplify your message so that it fits on a napkin.
It’s not easy. In fact, it’s really hard to simplify your message/model/meaning on a back of a napkin. However, I believe that your ability to engage someone with what you do, why and how is proportional to how clearly and cleanly you can communicate your message.
This is a really big deal. When sitting down with someone new they should ‘get it’ in a matter of seconds. Too often we overwhelm people with powerpoints, three-ring binders, slick brochures … don’t do it.
I’ve made many ‘million dollar calls’ using ONLY a napkin. I believe it is the BEST and ONLY presentation tool you need.
Just for kicks … see if you can identify these industry changing businesses from the napkins below (click to enlarge). I will buy a subscription to Fast Company for anyone that gets all four. E-Mail with your answers or your own napkin (I’m happy to respond … add thoughts, etc.)
While working with the SALES TEAM at Colorado College last week, one of their bright, young superstars, Robb Pike, came up with a great ‘CATCHPHRASE’ for moving from
‘IN PLAY’ to actually getting the AREA OF INTEREST and DOLLAR AMOUNT ON THE TABLE.
He called it ‘DOLLARS IN THE BUCKET’.
[Getting the AREA OF INTEREST is the BUCKET; the DOLLARS reflect a realistic investment amount.]
Then, it was pretty easy for us to move from:
‘DOLLARS IN THE BUCKET’ … to … ‘DOLLARS IN THE BANK’
Here’s my SIMPLE 1, 2, 3 for moving prospects at the top of your MASTER PROSPECT LIST to a COMMITMENT … AT THIS GIVEN MOMENT!
- ‘IN PLAY’
- Take ACTION!
- Get VISIT Scheduled!
- Do DISCOVERY (maybe even on the VISIT)
- ‘PRESENT THE OPPORTUNITY’
- Get $$$ in the BUCKET!
- Get a ‘NUMBER on the TABLE’ … in a SPECIFIC AREA of INTEREST
- No ‘FUZZINESS’ about WHY you are with them!!!
- Create SENSE OF URGENCY
- Get the COMMITMENT!
- $$$ in the BANK!
- Put it in WRITING! (You to them; them to you.)
As always, JUST ASK!!!