Ideal Prospect Profile
IDEAL PROFILE is one of the most powerful TOOLS that we use during our IDENTIFICATION PROCESS. Don’t blow by this one. It has created many, many ‘MILLION DOLLAR’ PROSPECTS and INVESTORS.
Here’s the concept: create a PROFILE of your BEST PROSPECT, then simply MATCH this IDEAL PROFILE with REAL PEOPLE! The IDEAL PROSPECT PROFILE is a simple ‘list’ of the absolute best characteristics of your PERFECT PROSPECT.
This list should include specific examples of relationship and capacity. Things like:
- Someone who others describe as “having more money than god” (you don’t need a wealth screening if someone tells you this) or they have a Family Foundation
- Someone with a proven commitment to your Cause: Kids, Education, Health Care, Cancer, Workforce Development, Disadvantaged Youth, The Environment, Etc.)
- Is directly engaged with your Organization, your solution or your case. I.e. this could be a longtime volunteer, a current or past Board Member, an Alum or parent/grandparent of an alum
- Geographically Impacted
- Connection to your Priorities, Programs Or Projects
Note: You can come up with more than one ‘ideal’ profile. For example, for a Campaign, for a transformational gift, for a legacy commitment, for President’s circle etc.
Here’s a ‘PROFILE’ that works for me in almost every situation:
- Someone who is ready to move from SUCCESS to SIGNIFICANCE!
- Someone who has had the ‘Bill Gates-in-the-shower’ epiphany – “I can’t take all of this with me.”
- Somebody who has been very ‘successful’ financially in the business world and who is now committed to making an IMPACT on the world. He or she has already taken care of their family and their own needs, as well as their wants, and there is plenty left.
Taking this a little deeper, a great Ideal Prospect is someone who has actually moved from STRUGGLE to SUCCESS to SIGNIFICANCE! For us, that means a WEALTHY ENTREPRENEUR! They know what it’s like to start things, to overcome obstacles and to make a difference. Plus, there’s no ‘committees’! (They can make a decision on their own which makes them our ‘favorite’ prospect!)
Any school should be looking for:
- A Very Wealthy Alum
- Also, A Current Parent
- Also, A Current Board Member
- Also With A Significant Gift History! (Trust me. If you’ve got somebody who fits this profile, and you’re a school – you need to go visit with them tomorrow!)
If you have a great Cause or Case that impacts your Community, you might be looking for the BIG ‘C’ IDEAL PROFILE: A Current, Committed, Champion who is Connected to the Cause, the Case and the Community (with large sums of Cash/ Currency.)
- A Very Wealthy Survivor (of Cancer, etc.) or “Grateful Patient”
- Or A Parent or Child of a Survivor
- Who wants to Impact Others
- And, through you, can help Save Lives, Reduce the Incidence of the Disease and Improve the Quality of Life of Those Touched.
- Woman in her 40s/50s/60s, who is a mother to adult children
- Successful tech entrepreneur, or married to one, or parent to one
- Experienced poverty and beat the odds
- Raised by a single mother
- Immigrant background – Is an immigrant or child of immigrants
- Has traveled to remote parts of the world for adventures in nature
- Could drive any car they want, but choose a Smart car or Prius
- Better yet, they drive a Tesla
- Has a (or multiple) LEED certified/Green homes
- Made their wealth in renewable energy
Any organization looking to increase their ENDOWMENT needs to look for the IDEAL ‘LEGACY’ PROFILE:
- An Older Person or Couple (65+)
- With Significant Resources/Assets
- Connected to your Cause and your Case
- And Willing to consider a Legacy/Planned Gift.
Special, Special Note: Using this ideal profile technique works great with your BOARD! It’s specific. Simple. Successful. And, it beats the daylight out of ‘give us names.’ (How’s that working for you?)
To help you understand this further, here are some examples from the PRIVATE SECTOR:
- Someone who has just had a dramatic change in their circumstances (marriage, new child, new business) and significant ‘protection’ issues
- Even better is an entrepreneur or ‘key (wo)man’ in a business partnership who needs ‘buy-out’ protection.
- Someone with a passionate interest in independence and financial freedom
- a strong commitment to family
- a sales or entrepreneurial background
- and major frustration with their current situation.
- Committed to changing their lifestyle
- Know they need a program and help
- Realize that the quality of life is a function of health