Simplify Your Message
This framework is used for everything from visits to strategy sessions to dealing with objections. However, it’s best use is COMMUNICATION and SIMPLIFICATION of your message.
30,000′ is an airplane’s cruising altitude – plenty of blue sky, a great view, etc. At 30,000′, our brain even seems to work better!
At this altitude, it’s all about your vision, your aspirations, your raison d’etre. It’s a place to think and talk about your mission, your meaning, your values.
At 30,000’ leaders and visionaries have the ability to see the horizon. Obviously, you can’t do that from 3’. At 30,000’ you can see the curve of the earth, the rising and setting of the sun. The perspective at 30,000’ is unmatched. This is where you can think about making a “dent in the universe” and communicate how you are CHANGING THE WORLD!
Use this framing device to think and answer some questions at 30,000’:
- Why do you what you do – To what end?
- What is your raison d’etre (or reason for existence?)
- What are you best in the world at?
- What would you do with $1M or $10M (or X times your current operating budget?)
- What makes you unique or how are you collaborating to solve a big social problem?
- What gets you really fired up in the morning? (About your impact!)
Use the answers to these questions to develop your Message at 30,000’ – Your big picture purpose statement, the meaning of your work – Something we call the Blue Box Message.
“The Blue Box”:
- Represents the starting point for everything
- Frames a conversation at the highest level
- Is simple (not full of fancy prose)
- Is articulated clearly, concisely and compellingly
Here are some examples of great Blue Box Messages:
Breaking the cycle of poverty by changing the system.
Transforming Columbus: Inspiring the entrepreneurs of the future.
Strong Healthy Kids, Strong Healthy Families, Strong Healthy Communities.
We provide the opportunity for disadvantaged women and children to transform their lives.
We want safe water for EVERYONE FOREVER.
To make reading matter and change the story for low-income students and families in San Diego County.
Redefine Interprofessional Education. Redefine Healthcare Delivery. For Better Patient Health Outcomes.